FAQ-able questions for BIRD

Ondrej Feela Filip feela at ipex.cz
Tue Sep 5 08:19:20 CEST 2000

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, David Ranch wrote:

>  >We've looked at Zebra, but we have decided that creating a new routing daemon
>  >from scratch is about as much work as rewriting Zebra to suit all our needs.
>
> Ouch!  Is their implementation poorly written?

.... well, in some ways. We would like to build better daemon.

>  >Not yet. We'd like to finish IPv6 support (especially OSPFv3) first.
>  >Anyway, if there will be any volunteers, we'll be happy to integrate
>  >any reasonable multicast routing code and help with writing it.
>
> Is this a new version of OSPF based on a set of RFCs and the like?
>   From my understanding, we're all running v2 today.

Yes, it's true, but v2 is for IPv4. For IPv6 you need v3.

>  >So unless
>  >you are short on disk space, the best solution is to compile bird with
>  >all protocols enabled and select what you want to use in the config file.
>
> But say I have a network running and I have some new crappy subnet
> that will ONLY run RIP (hmmmmm.. IPX...).  If I could load the RIP module,
> I  could leave my BGP and OSPF neighbors up.  With a recompile, I would
> have to shut down and restart the routing daemon.  For a simple project,
> this isn't an issue but if you want to make your tool truly for an
> enterprise, this would be a huge issue for at least me.

Version 1.0.4 of bird takes about 200kb on the disk! (Client included.) So
compile all protocols and run just RIP. Then you can add any others
without restart. I don't see any problem in that.

--
Ondrej Feela Filip