init scripts

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Fri Apr 27 13:53:32 CEST 2001

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 04:12:26AM +0300, Luben Karavelov wrote:

> hello,
> becasue I have found in th archive that there is a discusion
> about the startup scrip of bird, i would like to suggest
> something like:
>
> start-stop-daemon --start --background --exec \
> 	/usr/sbin/bird -- -d -D /var/log/bird
>
> that i have made on my debian system. it was hard to find
> where the "print" messages end when running bird with the
> default scrip.

I was looking at the debian package this morning and the last
suggestion using --make-pidfile doesnt work (I was wondering
i didnt check before) but bird forks.

I like this approach as its a default way to get the debugging/stats
output - Just to mention - You would also need a logrotate cron.d
entry ...

I'll put together a new package.

BTW: Does anyone know for a better check for rtnetlink support than
this ?

if [ -d /proc -a  -z "`cat /proc/ksyms | grep rtnetlink`" ]; then

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-5201-669912