OSPF and IPv6

David Rohleder davro at ics.muni.cz
Tue Feb 27 13:40:05 CET 2001

Martin Mares <mj at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:

> Hello!
>
> > So, you call protocols outside world? Did i understand correctly?
>
> No, I call everything outside BIRD the "outside world".
>
> > Your point of view is developer's. You see "core" routing table as a
> > main part of bird. But as a user I see protocols as a main part of
> > bird.
>
> No, my point of view is user's -- I see bird as a single entity and I don't
> look at its internals. By exporting I mean sending from bird to other
> routers via the protocol instance we're just configuring. No need to
> distinguish which part of bird is the "inside" and which is "outside"
> -- all parts are "inside".

Bird user's guide part 3.3:

import all | none | filter | where ...
        Specify a filter to be used for filtering routes coming from
        the protocol to routing table.

export  - opposite

Here i can see bigger distinction between protocol and routing table,
than between protocol and other router.

Not all of the protocols have something in common with another routers
(kernel and device)

I am really confused. May be there si something wrong with doc?

Please explain following example:

protocol kernel {
        export all;
}

Does this mean, that protocol kernel tries to update bird's routing
table according to changes in kernel routing table? Or does this mean,
that bird tries to update kernel routing table according to changes in
bird's routing table?

Hmm, it seems i got it: "export" in case of normal routing protocol
means routes which will be send to other routers (as i have understood
from example 6.1.4). This is what i prefer, but explanation in user's
guide is IMHO wrong.

import all | none | filter | where ...
        Specify a filter to be used for filtering routes coming from
        the protocol to routing table.
            ^^^^^^^^^
       change to "another routers"?

David Rohleder						davro at ics.muni.cz
Institute of Computer Science, Masaryk University
Brno, Czech Republic