stability of bird

Martin Kraus martin.kraus at infonet.cz
Sat Aug 13 05:51:49 CEST 2005

hi,
  i've got stability issues with bird. i talked with feela, he told me there
are some problems with stability, that bird crashes once in about 3 weeks,
however, tonight it crashed on me about 5 times and finaly tore down my central
router, which, needless to say, really #@&!!@??#@!!*&# annoyed me:)

is anyone using successfully bird in production environment at least on a small network
(what i need for now is really just two routers running bird, two routers running
gated and couple of other routers throught static routing) or are these
stability issues affecting everyone?
what i remember is that bird crashed hard when using
show route filter { if net ~ .... etc. through birdc, than it crashed when adding a
static route and configure/restart static1.
i also noticed, that the ospf module just stops sending out helo packets from
time to time, and only thing that helps is a complete restart of bird.

i didn't have time to simulate the errors and see when and what exactly does
it do. i'm also no programmer, i saw debugger once 5 years ago so i'm not much
help there either.
i would just like to know if there is a way to get bird working reliably to some
extent or if it's still just beta for fun only.

have a nice weekend
martin kraus