Bird Preference and OSPF

Matthew V. Weigl mweigl at usa.net
Fri May 6 16:28:23 CEST 2005

The Linux quagga ospfd is advertising 0.0.0.0/0 as an external 2, with a
metric of 20000. The WRT 0.0.0.0/0 is advertising as an external 2, with
a metric of 10000. From an OSPF perspective, the WRT's route is better,
however, bird on the WRT sees the route as a kernel route, not as an
OSPF route. The default preferences within bird appear to favor the OSPF
route.

Thinking of things as I am writing this, I decided to try an "import
all" on the OSPF process on the WRT. This resolved the issue. The WRT
imported the 0.0.0.0/0 route as E2 metric 10000, favoring that above the
E2 metric 20000 0.0.0.0/0 coming from the Linux box.

The preference issue is still there, however. In the version of bird
packaged with WRT54G Talisman firmware, setting protocol preference
causes an MTU mismatch between OSPF processes.