BIRD at Interop (is this list still alive?)

Hege Trosvik hege.trosvik at usit.uio.no
Wed Apr 19 14:08:52 CEST 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:22:37AM +0200, Martin Mares wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > First, I'm not sure if the BIRD project is even alive, since the
> > last piece of news I see on the web page is from 2/21/2005. But,
> > hopefully somebody is still working on this project and reading
> > this alias.
>
> Unfortunately, nobody currently has time to develop new features,
> but we still at least fix bugs.

Too bad, I like BIRD, well at least when I don't loose my interfaces.

> > My BGP peering between BIRD and it's peer (currently testing with a
> > Cisco catalyst3550) keeps going down. Not only does the peering go
> > down, but it seems that bird stops receiving anything on it's
> > interface. However if I leave an ssh session with the box running
> > bird open, the interface (and peering) comes up again as soon as I
> > touch ssh session. Leaving a ping running in the window with my ssh
> > session also will keep the interface from going down.
>
> I very much doubt this could be a bug in BIRD, because it doesn't
> know anything about other traffic on the interface. What NIC it is?

HP DL320, NC324i Dual Port PCI-X Gigabit LOM server adapter.

The equipment is currently powered down and waiting for the trucks
to take it to Interop in Vegas, so I can't really do much more testing
right now, that's why I wanted to just check if this is a known issue.

I should have the box up and running again on Friday 4/27 and will
do some more debugging then. Any chance I can bug you a bit again
then? I'll run the box for a while without bird to verify that the
interfaces stay up, then turn on bird again and also try ospf to see
if this only happens with bgp. Any other suggestions? Couldn't find
anything useful in the debugs.

	Hege