porting bird to ecos

Lauro, John jlauro at umflint.edu
Mon May 15 14:35:03 CEST 2006

Some applications making heavy use networking make extensive use of
light weight threads instead, thus allowing blocking streams.  This is
more common on platforms that either don't support fork() well...

Unfortunately, many socket libraries are not thread safe, meaning a
total switch would likely break more platforms than it could fix, and
possibly require semaphores or other locking method around some calls
as a kludge for those with poor thread support in their libraries...

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
> Faculty of Math and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Rep.,
Earth