Several bugreports

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Jun 27 22:24:55 CEST 2008

I tried bird (1.0.11, OSPF) and i found several bugs
or strange behavior:

1) Bird is generating strange warnings:

'bird: nl_parse_link: Malformed message received'
'bird: Ignoring bogus route 0.0.0.0/32 received via ospf1'

(on some routers several messages per minute, on other routers
one message per several minutes)

2) Bird is complaining about /31 network prefixes, although
these are valid according to  RFC 3021

3) According to examples in the documentation, interface mask like
"eth0", "eth1" should be valid, but this doesn't work for me in
intercase section:

 interface "eth0", "eth1" { ... }

I didn't find grammar for interface masks in documentation.

4) Sometimes the link between two routers hangs. Bird reports for
example  ptp/exstart at one side and ptp/exchange at the other side. Or
full/ptp at one side and nothing at the other side.

5) When i change OSPF cost of an interface (in the interface section
of the config file) and use 'configure' command, the costs are not
updated. I have to restart the daemon.

6) If i have a route that aims to non-present IP range (for example
route 192.168.37.48/29 via 192.168.37.96;
when there is no local route for 192.168.37.96), then i start bird
and then i add IP address to some interface, the route does not
appear, not even after 'configure' command. I have to restart
the daemon.