bird deletes local link routes and fails with Err_Hook err=101

Martin Kraus martin.kraus at wujiman.net
Sat Oct 4 02:22:10 CEST 2008

hi. I've got two problems. From time to time (often), when bird crashes or it
is stopped, it deletes routes to local interfaces. I suspect that it deletes
those routes for interfaces that ospf is listening on but since I'm running ospf
almost everywhere, it's hard to tell. It doesn't do it in testing environment,
it only does it on production machines. Could this be somehow related to the number of
routes in the routing table or in ospf route database?

Also, does anyone know what the following error means?

04-10-2008 00:24:28 <ERR> ospf_infonet: Err_Hook called on interface eth1 with err=101

I've made a reconfiguration to run bird on three routers connected like this:

    / \
   B - C

router A has two ospf protocols each having one interface in it, router B has
one ospf protocol with two interfaces and router C has two ospf protcols each
having one interface in it. With such configuration the above error occurs.

The original configuration had only one ospf protocol on each router, each
protocol with two interfaces. It worked and it also started to work after I
copied back the original configuration files and restarted the routers,
because simple bird restart didn't get rid off the error message and it didn't
get past the ospf router discovery.

What I would like to do is to route some destinations from C over C-B and some
over C-A and have each of these links to backup the other one in case of
failure. I works perfectly on my testing machines (ok, my notebook and an
unimportant router connected over two vpns). I reconfigured both routers A and
C and both failed with the above error for each of the defined ospf protocols
and given interfaces.

Is there any way I can at least find out what went wrong? Without learning C and
gdb again that is.

thanks for any help
good night
mk

--
printk(KERN_WARNING "Warning: defective CD-ROM (volume sequence
number). Enabling \"cruft\" mount option.\n");