BGP Reconfiguration

Wolfgang Hennerbichler wh at univie.ac.at
Thu Jul 9 11:44:52 CEST 2009

On 09.07.2009, at 11:47, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 11:31:44AM +0200, Wolfgang Hennerbichler
> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> after reading the whole documentation nearly twice, I configured some
>> stuff with BGP and so far it looks quite nice. I really like the
>> verbosity of bird, it totally tells me what's going on, this is
>> really
>> nice. One thing I don't like that much is that it seems that I don't
>> have a chance to reconfigure ONE BGP neighbour without dropping the
>> BGP
>> sessions to all other neighbors.
>> I'm altering the config-file for a specific BGP neighbor and after
>> that I
>> am issueing
>>> configure soft
>
> This seems to be a bug - after altering the config-file for a specific
> BGP neighbor, both 'configure' and 'configure soft' should restart
> just that neighbour. What version of BIRD are you using?
> Can you send me a config file?

I'm using your debian archive:

bird:/etc# dpkg -l bird | grep ii
ii  bird                            1.1.0-1~bpo50+1          Internet
Routing Daemon

here's the config:

bird:/etc# cat bird.conf | grep -v ^\#
/*
  *      This is an example configuration file.
  */

log syslog { debug, trace, info, remote, warning, error, auth, fatal,
bug };
log stderr all;

router id 192.153.174.212;

filter sink { reject; }
filter okay { accept; }

debug protocols all;

protocol direct {
}

protocol kernel {
         scan time 20;           # Scan kernel routing table every 20
seconds
         export all;             # Default is export none
}

protocol device {
         scan time 3600;         # Scan interfaces every 10 seconds
}

protocol static {
         debug all;
         route 10.1.1.0:255.255.255.0 drop;
}

protocol rip MyRIP {    # You can also use an explicit name
         disabled;
}

protocol ospf MyOSPF {
         disabled;
}

protocol bgp {
         local as 65500;
         neighbor 192.153.174.213 as 1853;
         debug all;
         password "asdf";        # Password used for MD5 authentication
         export filter okay;
         rs client;
         route limit 10000;
}

protocol bgp as18531 {
         local as 65500;
         neighbor 192.153.174.216 as 1857;
         debug all;
}

-----

note that bgp peer as18531 never comes up, it's just a dumy. Maybe
I've found a bug here. at least neighbor 192.153.174.213 repeatidly
goes down when tweaking the config of as18531.
In the log I see:
Jul  9 09:44:15 bird bird: bgp1: Reconfiguration failed, restarting

It doesn't tell me why the reconfig failed.

--
www.vix.at | www.aco.net
wh at univie.ac.at | WH844-RIPE