Very simple bird.conf

Chris Webb chris at arachsys.com
Wed Apr 14 12:33:31 CEST 2010

I'm trying to replace a quagga daemon doing an extremely simple bgp peering
with an upstream with bird 1.2.2. I have it working, but I'm not sure it's
quite set up correctly. My config is

  router id 91.203.57.1;

  protocol device {
  }

  protocol direct {
  }

  protocol kernel {
    import all;
    export all;
  }

  protocol bgp {
    local as 44934;
    neighbor 84.45.39.149 as 25577;
    import all;
    export where net = 91.203.56.0/23;
  }

I'll need additional internal peerings later, but I just want to get the
simplest possible config correct first!

When I do birdc show protocols all, it includes:

  bgp1     BGP      master   up     10:56       Established
    Preference:     100
    Input filter:   ACCEPT
    Output filter:  <NULL>
    Routes:         311380 imported, 1 exported, 311380 preferred
    Route change stats:     received   rejected   filtered    ignored   accepted
      Import updates:         334136          0          0       7828     326308
      Import withdraws:         1756          0        ---          0       1756
      Export updates:         326310     326308          1        ---          1
      Export withdraws:         1756        ---        ---        ---          0
    BGP state:          Established
      Session:          external
      Neighbor AS:      25577
      Neighbor ID:      84.45.90.246
      Neighbor address: 84.45.39.149
      Nexthop address:  84.45.39.149
      Source address:   84.45.39.150
      Neighbor caps:    refresh
      Hold timer:       153/180
      Keepalive timer:  33/60

I think this means I've got the export filter wrong somehow and am trying to
re-export the routes I get in from my upstream. (Perhaps they're going bgp ->
kernel -> bgp?)

Best wishes,

Chris.