CLI ?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Apr 27 16:32:47 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 01:01:58PM +0200, Stefan Jakob wrote:
> Am 26.04.2010 14:26, schrieb Joakim Tjernlund:
>
> > Not a lot, seems that the CLI only can do very limited configuration or
> > am I missing something here.
>
> The only thing I am currently missing is an integrated grep|include and
> a tab completion for all Protocols|Symbols as a couple of "views", that
> we currently have to parse via awk|younameit.
>
> f.e.:
>
> show protocols R1<tab>
> R192_168_0_1
> R10_0_0_1
> show protocols R19<tab>
> show protocols R192_168_0_1

Tab completion for symbols ... agreed, i will look at it.

grep ... probably too much work, you can use system grep, if you need it
(shown below).

> Don't think it's such a good idea to put a version control system
> directly in the bird code, like juniper does|have, since there are so
> many systems and admin flavours out there.

Agreed

> As Ondrej already mentioned, being able to configure <FILE> directly
> from CLI should be ok:
>
> echo "configure /etc/bird/crazybirdconf" | birdc
>
> Here I would like to see something like:
>
> birdc -c "configure /etc/bird/crazybirdconf"

This is implemented. Using echo and pipe is unnecessary, you can use:

birdc configure /etc/bird/crazybirdconf

Therefore, if you need grep, you can use:
birdc show route | grep XXX