bird not listening on "odd" interfaces?

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at solfo.com
Thu Aug 12 00:33:00 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

First of all - thanks for such a nice package of software.  The edges are a little rough when getting started; but the configuration file format is very nice and until this everything has "just worked".   I'm using bird to announce an AS and a /24 for a anycast network.

On to my question:

One of the boxes I'm running bird on is an OpenVZ virtualized linux box with an unusual network configuration.  It hasn't given any trouble for the regular DNS server duties, but I can't seem to get bird to play nicely.  The networks I want to announce are on a dummy0 interface.

'venet0' is 127.0.0.1; 'venet0:0' is a point to point interface with the "real" IP address - 80.96.148.8/32.

The "upstream" router I'm talking to is 80.96.148.1.    Somehow packets via the PtP interface automatically goes that direction.

Anyway - the (first) problem is that bird doesn't seem to listen to port 179 (on any interfaces).

In our DNS server we just do a regular listen on 80.96.148.8 (and some of the IPs on the dummy0 interface) and it's working as normal.  I tried with and without "bgp listen address 80.96.148.8 port 179" and no matter what it seems like bird just doesn't on this box.  I'm using 1.2.4; the box is a recent CentOS (again, under OpenVZ).

Any ideas?

 - ask

--
Ask Bjørn Hansen, http://askask.com/