bird not listening on "odd" interfaces?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Aug 13 14:36:48 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 09:43:46AM -0700, Ask Bj?rn Hansen wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2010, at 9:42, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
>
> >> Yes, certainly - config is at http://tmp.askask.com/2010/08/buh1-bird.conf - show interfaces below.
> >
> > The problem is that the peer 80.96.148.1 is not directly reachable by any
> > iface. If it is the other end of venet0, you should set IP addresses
> > accordingly.
>

> Yeah, I think OpenVZ isn't exposing how it actually is working
> (because the PtP interface makes it work somehow).

But even in that case kernel should know where to send packets
for 80.96.148.1 . Perhaps there is some route to that address?
What is your routing table?

What is a traceroute to 80.96.148.1 from that host? If there is more
hops you should set multihop option.

> However: Shouldn't bird at least listen to port 179 anyway?  Then I
> could just run it in passive mode.

If BIRD didn't found appropriate iface, it didn't started the BGP protocol.
Even if it would listen to port 179 (for example, if there is another
proper BGP protocol), it wouldn't accept session from that IP because
it wouldn't know the iface.