ECMP/multipath support

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Fri Dec 17 09:03:01 CET 2010

Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org> wrote on 2010/12/17 00:50:41:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 08:41:24PM +0100, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > This will find any ptp link that matches and several of them will match.
>
> Not really. For unnumbered ptp links (where sharing of IP addresses
> between several interfaces is common), the match is based on interface
> ID, which is unique. For numbered ptp links, the match is based on
> IP address, but in that case sharing IP addresses (and therefore
> network prefixes) is pathological and would cause other problems.

I don't remember all the details anymore but sharing IP address for numbered
ptp I/Fs is not pathological. It should just work. Also any combination of
numbered vs. unnumbered, IP address or no IP address(even pppd supports no IP address
on ptp links).
If you do it my way you can combine ptp links any way you want and it will scale better too.

       Jocke