ECMP/multipath support

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Dec 21 03:38:35 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 01:20:41AM +0100, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > Or if you means case like: Router A having two interfaces (with IP1 and
> > IP2)  connected to the same network N, router B also connected to
> > network N may use multihop to IP1 and IP2 for routes that goes through
> > router A. It is true that in that case BIRD does not use multihop (and
> > there are some other corner cases, where multihop also is not used
> > although it could be).
>
> yes, this one. Seems like multihop only works for ptp links then ?
> perhaps not a big deal? I would think users of ECMP would like this case
> to work too though.

This scenario expects there is just one network between the routers and
one router has two interfaces to that network, which is generally
configuration not well supported by OSPFv2. So i don't think it is a big
deal.

But now i realized that a scenario with two parallel links where both
are bcast (not ptp) would not work with ECMP, which is probably what
you wanted to notify me of. This would be fixed.