Netlink: File exists

Chris Webb chris at arachsys.com
Tue Feb 2 19:57:14 CET 2010

Hi. I'm experimenting with bird as a replacement for a quagga install, and
tried the following very simple config:

  router id 91.203.57.1;

  protocol device {
  }

  protocol direct {
  }

  protocol kernel {
    import all;
    export all;
  }

  protocol bgp {
    local as 44934;
    neighbor 84.45.39.149 as 25577;
    import all;
    export all;
  }

with bird-1.2.0 running on a (relatively old) linux 2.6.23.9 kernel.

This seems to work fine, apart from the message "bird: Netlink: File exists"
appearing in syslog every minute. My routing table before starting bird
looks like this

  # ip route show
  84.45.39.148/30 dev eth1  proto kernel  scope link  src 84.45.39.150
  91.203.56.0/23 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 91.203.57.1
  default via 84.45.39.149 dev eth1

in case this is related to bird being unable to overwrite the existing
static routes?

Also, I needed

  sysctl net.core.rmem_max=524284

before starting quagga to avoid netlink "recvmsg overrun" messages and
occasional loss of prefixes. Am I right in assuming that bird will need the
same thing for the same reason?

Cheers,

Chris.