BIRD OSPF floods illegal LSA seq no 0x80000000 after premature aging

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sat May 22 11:36:43 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 06:41:50PM +0200, Dennis Koegel wrote:
> Cheers,
>
> we have reproducible case in the lab where BIRD's OSPF sends LSUPDs with
> illegal sequence number 0x80000000.

Hello

Thank you for the bugreport. I also noticed this problem some time ago.
The illegal sequence number is just a symptom, the core of the problem
is that a new LSA is originated before the old one is completely flushed
and removed from the LSA db. This happens AFAIK only for ext-LSAs when
other protocols remove and then immediately insert a route to the
routing table (which causes the LSA to be flushed and then
reoriginated). I already fixed this (in dev version) for the static
protocol and i will add a check for LSA sequence number overflow (to
generate seqnum 0x80000001 in that case), but the prober fix of LSA
flushing would take some time.

Which protocol created the route that was exported to the OSPF and
caused the problem in your case? And what change to bird.conf was made
(it was change to the OSPF or a change to the first protocol)?