Detecting link state, FreeBSD

Mahlon E. Smith mahlon at martini.nu
Wed Nov 3 15:39:48 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:

> BIRD currently does not check or use link up/down state. OSPF routers
> generally check reachability using HELLO packets, not by reported link
> state, although sometimes this is also implemented.

Hmm, in this particular case, bird is currently responsible for managing
routes that go out through that interface.  (Used for internet failover,
on the external interface.)  With the link state down, the OSPF daemon
was still reachable to the internal network, so the HELLO check doesn't
help me unless the /internal/ interface dies, or the entire router does.

Is there an alternative way to accomplish what I'm after with bird?  Any
chance an option to the 'device' protocol to take link state into
consideration when determining availability is on the roadmap?

Thanks for the quick reply, Ondrej!

--
Mahlon E. Smith
http://www.martini.nu/contact.html