How to add IPv6 support?

Christoph Biedl bird.network.bryq at manchmal.in-ulm.de
Wed Sep 29 21:16:40 CEST 2010

I don't see a single bit about this in the documentation ...

For quite some time bird served me very well for dynamic routing
within a small network using the BGP method. Until the day when I
wanted to enable IPv6 on all routers.

The Debian distribution ships two packages, bird and bird6, and as far
as I can see the only difference is the latter was compiled using the
--enable-ipv6 option.

Now what am I supposed to do?

Is bird6 supposed to do _all_ the work, v4 and v6? If yes, is it a
feature bird6 cannot handle IPv4 addresses in the bgp "neighbor"
statement (yields "syntax error")? Prefixing into a v6 address using
'::ffff:' survives the parser, but these addresses are not routed.

Or should I really start bird6 as a second routing daemon to handle
the IPv6 prefixes? This is silly since this means duplication of the
configuration file and all the peer detection and route switching is
not synchronized.

What magic did I miss?

    Christoph