Activate back learning from user-defined routes in kernel protocol?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sun Aug 14 17:34:47 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 12:06:47AM +0200, Benjamin Cama wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently evaluating BIRD, and stumbled on some difficulty, which
> looks quite similar to the one encountered by Łukasz here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bird-users@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/msg01039.html

> On the BIRD side, it's commit ff2857b03db854f99902766ad842aaa5fa29ec3c
> that included the workaround to ignore all PROTO_BOOT routes. See here
> https://git.nic.cz/redmine/projects/bird/repository/revisions/ff2857b03db854f99902766ad842aaa5fa29ec3c
> And it actually happened after the kernel charge, in february 2010!

I didn't tested that on the latest kernel when i noticed the problem.
And definitely din't have an idea that this kernel behavior was
unintentional and would be fixed.

> So, I was wondering if you would consider getting back to the ???old???
> behavior of not ignoring PROTO_BOOT routes on kernel >= 2.6.30? It would
> be quite a change, still, and it may look strange that BIRD behave
> differently on kernel before and after 2.6.30. But it would help people
> like me who struggled to get their routes taken into account, just to
> find after a painful search that it's because of a kernel ???bug???.

If kernel developers already fixed that, it is probably a good idea
just to remove that workaround. Possible problems even when running
that on an old kernel are minimal.

> I don't know what's the right answer to this, but I wanted to inform you
> of this change in Linux's behavior, in case you didn't notice it.

Thanks for the information, i didn't noticed that.