Routing issues

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Sun Dec 4 21:38:30 CET 2011

$quoted_author = "dspazman at epicup.com" ;

> I have tried setting up my routing like:
> http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html
>
> And my bird setup is like:
> https://git.nic.cz/redmine/projects/bird/wiki/BGP_filtering
> (it is down right now, but you can use google cache to still see it)
>
> for the two /29 IP networks I have, one from Cogent, one from HE.  I also
> have a /22 that I am announcing over BGP.
>
> The end result is to have a BGP router using two connections to announce
> my /22 using my ASN, from the bird router I need to be able to send out
> requests from my /22 over both interfaces (I have them weighted in the
> bird config file so one gets more traffic).
>
> I guess what I am asking is if this sounds like it is the correct setup?
> I don't need someone to babysit me through the whole process, I just want
> to make sure I'm not going down a rabbit hole and completely missing
> something.

You're on the right track! :-)

My original answer relates only to traffic with a source address in your
Cogent /29 as this might be filtered by HE. You might need to do something
similar to traffic with a source address in your HE /29 as this might be
filtered by Cogent. Traffic with a source address in your /22 shouldn't have
that problem.

> I'll be done with bugging the whole list now.  If I could get a
> confirmation still that that is the correct route to take, that would be
> great.  Setting up 2 routing tables like the first article, and then
> setting up bird like the BGP filtering article.  I just didn't know if I
> should be setting up the 2 routing tables, or if the decision on the
> outbound routing was entirely bird.  If anyone wanted to help more and
> contact me directly I could provide more specific information as well, but
> that's not required, and I don't want to be any trouble to the group in
> general.

Bird will accept, filter and sort the BGP routes before exporting them to
the kernel. The source based routing mentioned above is just an override at
the kernel level so packets from either /29 make it back out the respective
link.

cheers
Marty