Announce less specific prefix in routeserver environment for upstream purpose

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Fri Dec 16 23:39:38 CET 2011

on 16.12.2011 19:49 Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 02:14:48PM +0100, Stefan Jakob wrote:
>> Dear Bird Users,
>>
>> I have the following setup:
>>
>> Peer1 - AS65001
>> Peer2 - AS65002
>>
>> RS - AS65123
>> GW - AS65123
>>

>> All are connected via a layer 2 infrastructure and share next hop
>> addresses out of a /22. This /22 is part of a /20.
>>
>> RS works as a routeserver with "rs client" in the protocol definition of
>> Peer1, Peer2.
>>
>> My goal is, to announce the /20 over  GW to the routeservers GW hasn't
>> the "rs client" option set but "gateway direct".
>>
>> To solve the iBGP and empty AS path of GW, I want to prepend AS65123 for
>> all GW incoming prefixes, so that the as path isn't empty.
>>
>> Do you expect this as a working design to announce the /20 from GW via
>> RS to the peers?
>
> This is a bit tricky. I see a possible problem - received route on RS
> would be probably rejected as loopy (received AS PATH contains local ASN)

Well, RS would prepend AS65123 towards Peer1 and Peer2, not GW toward
RS. This is intended iBGP behaviour, isn't it.

> I see a simpler idea - just use a different 'local as' (perhaps some
> private ASN) on the BGP config on RS directed to GW (i.e. just on that one
> connection). In that case the session would be handled as eBGP, like all
> other sessions. Because the session would be also configured with 'rs
> client' on RS, the configured (private) ASN would not appear anywhere,
> it does not matter.

Well, is that really simpler?

> BTW, why not just announce that /20 directly on RS? I think that should
> work too (this is probably not documented, but locally originated routes
> receives ASN to their path even when propagated through the session with
> 'rs client' enabled.

That also would need additional config as yyou would have to set
next-hop to GW (actually the whole truth is that there are two GW)

Wouldn't the original proposal (% the update I gave) reflect standard
behaviour?

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper / nIPper consulting, Sandhausen, Germany
email: arnold at nipper.de      phone: +49 6224 5593407 2