Pipe collisions and missing IPv6 LL addresses

Jerome Durand jdurand at renater.fr
Tue Feb 1 11:59:11 CET 2011

Hi all,

I am running bird 1.2.5 as a RS using classical design (one table per
peer and one master global). I also added in addition a second table
called "collector" that is just populated as the master table with other
pipes protocols. Idea is that this table can be polled without touching
the master table (never know)

1°) Pipe collisions:
--------------------

I have this in my logs:

2011-02-01 10:32:50 <ERR> Pipe collision detected when sending
X.Y.Z.T/zz to table collector

X.Y.Z.T/zz being of course a valid prefix. Have you guys ever seen this.
When does this occur? What is the consequence of a pipe collision? How
can I troubleshoot?

Note I do have that for IPv4 and IPv6.

2°) Missing LL IPv6 addresses:
------------------------------

I also have some problems with few IPv6 peers which seem not to send me
LL addresses.

2011-01-31 16:48:12 <ERR> R655687: Missing link-local next hop address,
skipping corresponding routes
2011-01-31 16:48:12 <ERR> R655687: - route xxxx:yyyy::/32 skipped

xxxx:yyyy::/32 being a regular IPv6 prefix.

The weird thing is that this peering is also flapping... The customer
tells me he has the same config with other peerings without any problem.
Any hint? Is bird doing more verifications than some vendor routers?

Thanks for feedback and sorry if this has already been queried on some
forums I'd have missed.

Jerome Durand

Responsable des services aux usagers
Services operations & support manager

             Réseau National de Télécommunications
      pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

Tel:    +33 (0) 1 53 94 20 40  |  GIP RENATER
Fax:    +33 (0) 1 53 94 20 41  |  23-25 rue Daviel
E-mail: jdurand at renater.fr     |  75013 PARIS
http://www.renater.fr          |  FRANCE