Allowas-in in BIRD - possible to implement?

Adrian Czapek adrian.czapek at rybnet.pl
Fri Jul 1 13:47:50 CEST 2011

> A key element of BGP loop prevention is not doing this.

I am fully awared of it.

> Wanting
> to do this suggests to me your BGP design is wrong or you are
> using the wrong solution for the job.
>
> Complete guess: are you trying to survive when your AS becomes
> partitioned? If so, the easy way (given you say "provider")
> is simply to carry around an IGP or BGP default route pointing
> at said provider.

Indeed, I want to survive AS split. And I must say that this default
route is very simple solution and i will gonna use it.

However, accepting own AS in AS-PATH could be handy too. Cisco can do
it, Quagga can do it too, it would be good to have it in bird. Of
course, it must be turned off by default and you have to know what are
you doing when enabling it.
When everything is all right, you have to take care that your internal
path is always choosen. When AS is splitted, it will simply route
through internet, just like your 'default route' does.

Default route might not be such effective when you have more then one
upstream provider, since you have to choose default route throu one of
them, and if you have bad luck and both internal connection and this
particular provider will fail at the same time, you're toasted.

Regards
--
Adrian Czapek