Advertising interface addresses via OSPF

Ryan Whelan rcwhelan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 20:04:03 CEST 2011

I have 3 Linux machines connected to one another by point-to-point
links. With the end point of each tunnel using a tun device, there are
a total of 6 tun devices used on across the 3 machines. 2 per machine.
 Using OSPF, Bird is not advertising the addresses on the tun devices
to the other nodes.  This causes an issue because each device is
unaware of the addresses on the tun devices on tunnels it is not
connected to.  In other words, node 'C' is unaware of the addresses on
the tunnel between nodes 'A' and 'B'.  Thats an issue because if the
link between 'A' and 'B' fails, 'A' will get the routes 'B' knows
about thru 'C', but 'B' does not know the tun address of 'A' thats
connected to 'C' so all the traffic 'C' routes from 'A' to 'B' comes
from an address 'B' can't route back too.  (Sorry its so hard to
follow)

I've been able to alleviate it by adding a `stubnet` for each tun
device on each machine, but I'm afraid that will become increasingly
difficult to maintain as the number of nodes increases.

Is there another way? I've been unsuccessful at getting bird to import
(and advertise) the routes associated with the tun devices.  (using
the 'device' protocol I can get bird to import them, but ospf doesn't
advertise them to the other nodes)