Merging bird and bird6

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Jul 11 10:14:09 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 03:12:15PM +0400, Alexander V. Chernikov wrote:
> It depends on FIB/tricks implementation :)
> Actually, I'm trying to discuss those implementation details.
>
> At the moment we have at least the following non-standard things in the
> world of routing:
> * VPNv4 address family (RFC 4364) (8-bytes route distinguisher, 4 byte
> IPv4 address)
> * VPNv6 address family (RFC 4659) (8-byte route distinguisher, 16 byte
> IPv6 address)
> * MPLS address family (RFC 3032) (size varies, it may be 16 bytes or
> more since  label stack depth is implementation-specific. for example,
> sizeof(sockaddr_mpls) is ~80 bytes for my implementation)

So you are developing doing some MPLS for BIRD development [*]? This is
interesting. Definitely we could merge it when it will be ready. Before
talking about some implementation details i would like to know your
overall idea of how MPLS could be integrated to BIRD and how it will
interact with other BIRD parts. It seems that MPLS is a bit different
from traditional routing in several ways, so it is not straightforward
(for example, how MPLS 'routes' will be represented in BIRD core, in
struct rte like common routes? In separate tables from IPv4/v6 routes?)
What are interactions (in BIRD) between MPLS and IPv4/v6 routing?
What new concepts have to be introduced?

[*] Rhetorical question, i found http://freebsd.mpls.in/