Feature requests

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri May 6 01:44:09 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 11:37:57PM +0200, Stefan Hellermann wrote:
> I have one feature request besides new protocols: Support the source
> attribute of routing table entries in linux. It's only important for
> udp-connections to a router running bird.

Already implemented in v1.3.1, see route attribute krt_prefsrc in:

http://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&f=bird-6.html#ss6.4

> Note there is no src on the routes from bird.
> Now try do to a dns-lookup from lan at A to the dns-server installed on
> router B, using the lan ip of the router:
> $host fritz.box 192.168.1.1
> ;; reply from unexpected source: 10.10.254.5#53, expected 192.168.1.1#53
> ;; reply from unexpected source: 10.10.254.5#53, expected 192.168.1.1#53

BTW, in this case the problem is in the dns-server - properly implemented
UDP server should answer from the same address the request was sent to,
without any tricks with route src attributes.

Another way (simpler and more usual) to fix that is to configure
dns-server to bind to the only one IP address. Most servers have some
config option to do that.