Troubleshooting "Optional attribute error"

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri May 6 01:50:54 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 10:52:20AM +0200, Ruben Laban wrote:
> On Friday 29 April 2011 at 00:54 (CET), Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 05:21:21PM +0200, Ruben Laban wrote:
> > > After having been down for some time, I decided to bring up an old test
> > > session (IPv6 full table). However, the session doesn't come up fully. I
> > > do see a fair amount of UPDATE packets coming in, but then at a certain
> > > point the connection gets closed and the routes purged again. All I can
> > > find in the logs is "Optional attribute error", even with "debug all
> > > all". Is there some other trick to find out what the actual problem is
> > > with this session?
> >
> > Could you send the exact error message and the BIRD version?
>
> Exact error message:
>
> 03-05-2011 10:49:22 <RMT> bgp1: Error: Optional attribute error

There are (AFAIK) only two things that may generate such error - malformed
NLRI or its next hop attribute. Also NLRI of unexpected kind (like IPv4 in
bird6). Perhaps the other side sends both IPv4 and IPv6 in one session?

So probably the only thing how to find out the problem is to get dump of
BGP traffic using tcpdump (like tcpdump -n -s 0 -w file ...) and examine
that or send it to me.