IPv6 rip-only routing - no exchange of routes

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Nov 1 20:36:51 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 05:49:42PM +0100, Goesta Smekal wrote:
> Am 2011-10-30 22:04, schrieb Roman Hoog Antink:
> > Hi Goesta
> >
> > As you can see by this commit, RIP for IPv4 was fixed recently in
> > the git repo (after 1.3.4 came out).
> >
> > https://git.nic.cz/redmine/projects/bird/repository/revisions/14a8f396e1d8fc5787041eace8ab026fe5a0896c
> >
> >  Before that, it was broken for more than a year:
> > http://marc.info/?l=bird-users&m=127633818913449&w=2
> > http://marc.info/?l=bird-users&m=130715340100894&w=2
> >
> > The line with the comment /* Does not really work on Linux */ seems
> > to be the spot that breaks RIP with IPv6.
>
> Thankfully Roman sent me two patches off list, that led to the inclusion
> of the routes, seen in the RIP packets to the local routing table.
>
> However, there are still some bugs within the packets which make me
> think that RIPng in BIRD is in fact rather RIPv2 with longer addresses ;-)

You are right, after Roman Hoog Antink sent his patches for RIP, i
also checked RIPng if it is possible to do some quick fix and found that
is is broken beyond any repair and probably really never worked (at least
as specified by RFC).

Rewrite of RIP is one of my long term plans, but had a low priority
because of its minimal usage. It would be not so hard (as RIP is pretty
simple protocol and most research and thinking about it i already did),
probably worth the effort just to not bother my mind any more :-).