New release 1.3.4!

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Fri Oct 21 11:32:18 CEST 2011

--On 21 October 2011 11:18:03 +0200 Mathias Wolkert <tias at netnod.se> wrote:

> Now I'm down to picky little details such as default config path in
> Debian. If I'm not mistaken, it's good Debian behavior to have daemon
> specific directory e.g. "/etc/bird/".

In debian, bird and bird6 are separate packages, so by that logic
we'd have /etc/bird/ and /etc/bird6/

I am not sure of the exact DSFG specs, but I would be surprised if
they mandate a directory when there is only one config file per
package (which there is in this case). A brief examination of my
/etc/ suggests that there are rather a lot of packages who have
single config file per package in /etc/, and my /etc/ would be
no less busy if there were directories there rather than files.

As moving it has the ability to break things, unless the DSFG has
this as a MUST in capital letters and flashing text, I'd leave it
the way it is.

What you DO need to do is include /etc/defaults/bird{,6} into your
init.d file, but I think this was fixed in 1.3.3.

--
Alex Bligh