Monitoring OSPF

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Sep 9 12:52:01 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 09:52:02AM +0200, Ruben Laban wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I was wondering if there's a sane method to keep a realtime eye on OSPF. More
> specifically, getting notifications for link/state/topology/etc changes. So far
> all I could think of is using birdc(6) every x seconds/minutes and comparing
> the output with the previous run to detect changes.

There is no dedicated notification channel. The simplest thing is to get output
of 'show ospf state' every x seconds. Or if you want, you could enable debug
events logging and use routing the table recalculation message as a trigger for
'show ospf state' (but that seems unnecessary for me).

For monitoring, i have a script that logs the state, sorts that appropriately
to hide irrelevant changes, compares with the previous one and possibly sent
the diff (attached, just a quick hack).

I have also some scripts that took 'show ospf state' output and expected
network description and converts that to the SVG image with reachable,
broken and unreachable links differentiated by color, but it is not
really finished.