ERR when redistributing to OSPF NSSA

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Sep 29 22:50:25 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 07:36:23PM +0400, Alexander V. Chernikov wrote:
> Okay, there is a small bug in bird preventing actual errors to come up.
> Patch attached.

Thanks for this one.

> Real error is: bird: ospf1: Cannot find forwarding address for NSSA-LSA
> 81.19.94.167/32
>

> Actual problem with redistribution resides in the following:
> when ospf comes up it interpretes all its active interfaces as
> interfaces with DOWN state. Interfaces with DOWN state are skipped on
> forwarding address lookup (we need to do this since P-bit is set).

Yes, you are right.

I think that a good quick fix is just allow to use addresses from
interfaces with DOWN state (patch attached). Note that in usual
circumstances on non-vlink iface the DOWN state is just transitional
and not really used - if real interface goes down, ospf interface is
removed.

BTW, there is a similar (but mostly harmless) bug not related to NSSA -
if an interface appears and there is a static route configured that goes
through that iface, the static protocol receives the iface notification and
generates the route, which is propagated to an ospf protocol before the
iface notification, so gw is not found and the route is propagated without
one.