RIP not working - interface is much too slow

Jarek jarek at poczta.srv.pl
Thu Jul 26 15:56:51 CEST 2012

Hello!
I've installed bird on new, quite fast machine with GE interfaces but
connected to router with 2Mbps output to WAN.
The configuration is quite simple and tested on another machine (4 years
old).
Except defaults, I have:

protocol rip myrip {
	export all;
	import all;
	period 10;
	authentication none;
	interface "*" { mode broadcast; };
}

I have one private network 192.168... connected to this machine, and I
want to distribute info about this network to other routers.
Unfortunetely it is not working.
I don't see any messages about distributing this network, but I see the
following messages every 10 secosnds:

Interface eth1 is much too slow, droping  request.

Routes from outside are accepted and I see them in my routing table.
I can also see routes to my other private net, broadcasted by old router
with almost the same bird configuration.

What is wrong ? Why the interface is too slow ?

best regards
Jarek