Distributing default route dynamically through OSPF / passive interfaces

Thomas York straterra at fuhell.com
Tue Mar 27 21:11:29 CEST 2012

I am looking to replace Quagga with Bird for our OSPF deployment. Currently,
we have all of our plants with PtP links (either through PtP T1s or OpenVPN
links). We use static routes to get the tunnels and such up, then distribute
routes (including a default route) via OSPF (using costs to designate a
primary interface). This works great currently. However, Quagga has terrible
OSPFv3 support (especially with distributing a default route) so I'm looking
to move to Bird. I have two VMs configured with 2 dummy interfaces per (to
simulate two routers-on-a-stick). One of the routers has a default route set
on one of its dummy interface (router1, dummy0). I have routes being
distributed back and forth without issue. However, I can't seem to get
router1 to distribute its default route to router2. Below are some IPs and
sample configs.

My other issue is that there isn't a passive directive for OSPF (at least,
according to the documentation). I would like to prevent the
accepting/broadcasting of OSPF data on the dummy interfaces. Is there an
easy way to do this without firewalling? Thanks!

IPs - http://pastebin.com/iA7z5mhP

Bird.conf for router1 - http://pastebin.com/xDCvsARL

Bird.conf for router2 - http://pastebin.com/nxxSREef

--Thomas York