Using arp as a routing protocol (yuck)

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Thu Nov 1 02:31:41 CET 2012

I sort of hesitate to ask this as it veers well into the realms of 'disgusting'.

I'd like to use bird to do routing via arp. This is in a scenario where economic constraints prohibit purchase of sensible equipment.

What I'd like to do is:
a) if a route appears (it will always be long subnet route0, 'advertise' it, by repeatedly promiscuously arp'ing for it.
b) proxy arp for it
c) (horrors) (a) and (b) for proxy ndp

I'm taking it that the good taste of bird authors has prevented this misfeature to date. Would it be easy to hack in?

--
Alex Bligh