BGP flapping while peering with Cisco ASR - Hold timer expired error

Martin Kraus martin.kraus at wujiman.net
Tue Apr 2 10:31:37 CEST 2013

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 01:31:59PM +0800, Jimmy Halim wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Interestingly, actually the BGP packets from that particular peers are not
> hitting the permitted filter in my server:
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp
> dpt:bgp
>
> Problem is solved after I changed the filter to:
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere         anywhere            tcp dpt:bgp
>

> I have no clue why only this peer is having the issue with my route
> server. Let me know if you guys have any clue.

Hi.

Could you describe where are you hitting your problem?

Does the bgp session establish?
Do the routers finish exchanging routing information?
Which router is hitting the hold time?
Did the same machine work with your old routing daemon against the same ASR
before switching to bird?
Did you do any other changes to it while switching to bird?

mk