Init scripts from BIRD RPMs

Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale Arnaud.Gomes at ircam.fr
Thu Aug 1 16:32:47 CEST 2013

Hi folks,

The RPM packages provided on bird.network.cz have a single init script
for managing both bird and bird6. This script has some heuristic rules
to determine which daemon(s) to manage, but its status subcommand is
unable to recognize "I am managing only one daemon" from "the other one
has crashed". Basically, "service bird status" is broken; furthermore,
the "one init script for two daemons" model makes it awkward to manage
BIRD with Puppet.

I have rebuilt the latest package locally with separate init scripts for
bird and bird6 as a workaround for this issue. I have also ripped out
the whole "check whether we need this daemon" logic as it makes no real
sense with separate services.

HTH,