High-availability BGP with BIRD

Thomas Johnson tom at claimlynx.com
Thu Aug 22 03:08:00 CEST 2013

Please let me know if bird-users is not the appropriate place for this
post; admittedly it is more of a "best practices" question...

I am in the process of trying to develop a plan for deploying BGP in a
high-availability configuration, using a pair of FreeBSD hosts running
BIRD. A number of questions have come up, leaving me unsure how to
proceed. The fact that this is my first experience with BGP doesn't
help matters. The following diagram outlines how I envision the
[physical] configuration.

                  +----------+
           +------+ router-a +-------+
    xxxxxxxx      +----------+       |
   xx      xx                     +--+-----+       +------------+
  xx  LAN   x                     + switch +-------| ISP router |
  x        xx                     +--+-----+       +------------+
  xx   xxxxx      +----------+       |
   xxxxx   +------+ router-b +-------+
                  +----------+

I dumped this in a pastebin, in case my mail client mauls
it..http://pastebin.com/rDTDMA7j

In this scenario, router-a and router-b are running FreeBSD, with CARP
to provide a virtual IP for failover. The two routers act in a
failover manner, with router-b taking over the virtual IP upon failure
of router-a. The goal is to maintain the fast failover (seconds) that
I get from CARP in non-BGP configurations. I am wondering if the
following method is a common/feasible/best solution.

Under normal conditions.
* BOTH router-a and router-b establish BGP sessions to the ISP. This
way, each router has a copy of the BGP routing table in memory, ready
to go.
* router-a advertises my prefixes to the ISP router.
* all regular traffic is handled by router-a.

If router-a fails.
* Programmatically update the router-b BIRD config to begin
advertising prefixes.
* router-b already has the BGP table in memory, so routing can resume
immediately.

Is there a better way to achieve this? Will my ISP laugh at me when I
ask them to assign me a /29, and allow me to run two BGP sessions?

Thank you!
TJ

--
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual

If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the
sender immediately and delete the original message and any copy of it from
your computer system. If you have any questions concerning this message,
please contact the sender or call ClaimLynx at (952) 593-5969.