Init scripts from BIRD RPMs

Thomas Guthmann tguthmann at iseek.com.au
Fri Aug 2 06:52:31 CEST 2013

Hey guys,

First of all I fully agree with Arnaud's changes, it is definetely a
neater design. I haven't look at the init script yet but if the code
follows his ideas then it is an improvement (especially for puppet mgt).
Merci Arnaud.

>> [..] However init script are deprecated at
> Fedora is a very good OS but with very new ideas [..]
Ondrej, Eliezer,
To summarize all RHELs are still using init.d script however RHEL7 and
EL clones will use systemd. So Q1 2014 or so, the systemd script will
start to be more relevant for people that use RHEL in production (like
90% of the audience that use a RedHat OS or clone in production).

Indeed Fedora is designed for Workstation, not servers IMO. Fedora is a
testbed for improvements that will be carefully selected for the next RHEL.

Thomas