Sstatic protocol routes not loaded until extra reload is done on unchanged config.

Hans van Kranenburg hans.van.kranenburg at mendix.com
Mon Feb 4 13:03:50 CET 2013

On 02/04/2013 11:18 AM, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 01:16:19AM +0100, Hans van Kranenburg wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My question is: what's going on here? Why are the static routes not fed
>> into bird at startup, but only after I reload the unchanged
>> configuration? Have I overlooked a configuration detail, or is there
>> something else 'fishy' going on?
>
> Hello
>
> There are two things:
>
> 1) Your dummy0 interface seems to be down, that is a reason why static
> protocol didn't generate routes at first.

Aha! Didn't realize that.

Actually I didn't even bother to up it before, because even when still
down, it functioned perfectly when blackholing traffic to it.

> I don't know if it is really
> down or just BIRD thinks that it is, you should check by 'show interfaces'
> and enable it by 'ip link set dummy0 up'. If that were IPv4, dummy0 could
> be up but without IP address so BIRD would consider it down, but for
> IPv6 there is usually link-local address so this is not an issue.

Ok, clear. Yes, it was down, and now it's up, with a link-local v6
address, and static routes are added now.

> 2) There is a bug in reconfiguration of static protocol that device routes
> are added regardless of whether interfaces are up or down.

Ah, that explains the behaviour.

Not adding static routes when dummy0 is down -> "It's not a bug, it's a
feature."

Adding static routes on reconfigure when dummy0 is down -> "It's not a
feature, it's a bug."

:-)

Thanks,
--
Hans van Kranenburg - System / Network Engineer
+31 (0)10 2760434 | hans.van.kranenburg at mendix.com | www.mendix.com