Change bgp_med and "soft reload"

3.listas@adminlinux.com.br listas at adminlinux.com.br
Wed Jan 9 17:03:18 CET 2013

Hi,

I am evaluating use of BIRD on my network. In my environment I need to
change the bgp_med parameter without causing major impact on established
BGP sessions. But the changes in parameter bgp_med only take effect
after a "bird restart service".

I tried with birdc unsuccessfully:
   reload in bgp
   reload out bgp
   restart bgp
   configure soft bird-BGP_MED.conf
   configure bird-BGP_MED.conf

My config:

/etc/bird.conf:

log syslog { debug, trace, info, remote, warning, error, auth, fatal, bug };
debug protocols all;
router id 192.168.100.1;

include "/etc/bird-static.conf";
include "/etc/bird-BGP_MED.conf";

protocol kernel {
   export all;
   scan time 20;
}

protocol device {
   scan time 10;
}

protocol bgp qualquer_nome_para_bgp {
   description "My BGP test Bird Router in LabRouter";
   local as 65111;
   source address 192.168.101.1;
   neighbor 192.168.101.2 as 65000;
   export filter {
     if source = RTS_STATIC then {
       bgp_med = BGP_MED;
       accept;
     }
     reject;
   };
   import all;
}

/etc/bird-static.conf:

protocol static um_nome_qualquer {
   route 192.168.100.0/24 via 192.168.101.1;
}

/etc/bird-BGP_MED.conf:

define BGP_MED=200;

How do I change the parameter bgp_med without losing the BGP session?
Thanks
--
Thiago Henrique
www.adminlinux.com.br