Route aggregation in BIRD - how?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Jan 16 01:55:21 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 04:12:48AM +0400, Alexander V. Chernikov wrote:
> Version 7 :)
> Changes
> * Fix bug with using 0/0 and :: in aggregation protocol
> * Fix mandatory lists not working before second rehash
> * Improve docs and configuration example a bit
> * Some code cleanups
>
> Thanks to Robers Hass for his bugreport and testing.

Hello

I would like to merge the aggregator, but i have three related
conceptual problems with your patch:

(1) About third of the code is related to BGP attribute processing
according to RFC 4271 9.2.2.2 (esp. AS_PATH merging and AS_SET
construction) for 'save attributes' option, but this behavior is IMHO
mostly useless, as such behavior is deprecated, RFC 6472 recommends that
AS_SETs should not be generated and there is a RFC draft [*] that
even prohibits them. As this feature adds significant and unnecessary
complexity, i would like to remove it.

[*] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kumari-deprecate-as-set-confed-set-01

(2) If i understand it correctly, your aggregator keeps a copy of all
received and aggregated routes in an internal fib, which is useful for
implementing (1), but unnecessarily if you just want to originate an
aggregate route if there are some matching routes (or required number of
mandatory routes). In that case you just need some counters for summary
routes and flags for mandatory routes. Current implementation is especially
memory wasteful in the common case 'aggregate full BGP feed to get a default
route'.

(3) Generated aggregate routes have attrs->proto->proto == proto_agg,
but attrs->source == RTS_BGP. What is a reason for that? It does not
make much sense to me, because it does not have true BGP route behavior
(for example rte_better would not compare it with others because of
attrs->proto->proto) so i see no reason why not to define RTS_AGGREGATOR
and use it. Even if we would like to generate BGP-style aggregated routes
with BGP_AGGREGATOR and BGP_ATOMIC_AGGR attributes.

There are some minor issues (e.g. there is probably a bug in
bgp_update_sumroute() in BGP_ATOMIC_AGGR generation - even if not
received from aggregated routes, this attribute should be generated if
BGP routes with non-empty AS_PATH are aggregated and 'save attributes' is
disabled), but these probably aren't problematic.

If you do not have strong objections, i would remove (1), do some
readjustment for (2), fix some minor issues and merge it. Question is
whether there is any need to have optional keeping a copy of child
routes in (2) for some sophisticated aggregation modes like (1), but
without (1), i currently don't see the need.