Problem with bird 1.3.9 on mips/linux

Hans van Kranenburg hans.van.kranenburg at mendix.com
Thu Jan 24 11:35:50 CET 2013

On 01/24/2013 02:07 AM, Hans van Kranenburg wrote:

>>> Yeah It nearly the same issue. Thanks for pointing out.
>>> After adding multihop bird started to listen on port 179/TCP.
>>
>> Yes, that was me.
>>
>>> But do I need really to configure multihop for iBGP session ?! (I'm
>>> from Juniper&  Cisco house where for iBGP I just need IGP
>>> reach-ability, not multihop which is only for ebgp sessions).
>>
>> It seems so. It's exactly the same reason that caused part of the
>> confusion for me. I was thinking that BGP was supposed to use any other
>> protocols to resolve a route to the iBGP peer, but BIRD wants to be told
>> explicitely it's not on link.
>
> Anyway, I'm only on this list for about two weeks, but if this is a
> question that would pop up more often, then it could be a great idea to
> start a FAQ page on http://bird.network.cz/ , below the mailing list,
> wiki etc.. that would answer this question as wel as...
>
> "I'm setting up a bird configuration file for the first time, why do I
> have to go through 'syntax error' hell first, without it telling me
> where's the error and what was expected"<- been there, done that so
> many times this week, for example, the amount of having to do a ; at the
> end of anything or just totally not doing it because then you get
> another syntax error is really annoying and confusing when you want to
> get a basic configuration going.
>
> Another FAQ candidate:
>
> "Why do I have to specify import at a protocol for whatever I want to
> export from there, and export for whatever I want the central routing
> table to import from the protocol I'm configuring?"<- no need to
> comment on this I guess...
>
> /me trying to provide constructive feedback

Well, I tried, but I see the result wasn't overly constructive yet, and
I hijacked a thread, which is bad.

I'll rephrase and put questions in separate threads, trying to provide
input to improve documentation etc.

--
Hans van Kranenburg - System / Network Engineer
+31 (0)10 2760434 | hans.van.kranenburg at mendix.com | www.mendix.com