bird generating 600Mbit traffic

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Jul 1 12:46:01 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 10:44:34AM +0200, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> bird (1.3.10, earlier versions too) sometimes starts flooding my network with
> ospf packets, generating over 600Mbit of traffic.
>
> tcpdump shows traffic between two bird machines, problematic one sends LS-
> Request then receives LS-Update, asks Request again, receives LS-Update and so
> on.
>
> http://ixion.pld-linux.org/~arekm/p2/log-bird.txt
>
> Any ideas on what could be the reason for such behaviour?

Hello

I would check that but it would be useful to know several things:

Is the problem self-limiting or you have to restart the OSPF protocol to stop it?

Are there any related messages in BIRD log?

Could you check during some of such floods what is the status of some related LSAs
in the LSAdb (show ospf lsadb) of related machines - whether it is here,
with older, the same or newer seqnum than one sent to network?

And also what is the status of DR/BDR on such network during the event
(show ospf interface) - whether related machines have the same idea
about DR and BDR and whether the problematic nodes are always in the
same position (like sender is 'other' and receiver is 'BDR') during such
problems.