Not re-exporting learned OSPF routes

Daryl Turner daryl.turner at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 11:11:53 CEST 2013

Hi,

Its true BIRD does not implement stub router advertisement as an
explicit feature, but you can manually set the cost of the stub links.

We have a similar need with a route reflector that needs to be kept
out of the forwarding path but needs its loopback advertised into
OSPF.

### OSPFv2 IPv4 ###
protocol ospf coreOSPF {
        table ospfT;
        area 0.0.0.0 {
                interface "em0", "em1" {
                        cost 65535;
                        type ptp;
                        hello 1; dead count 4;
                        authentication cryptographic;
                        password "secret password";
                };
                interface "lo1" { stub; };
        };
}

And here is an LSA from an upstream router showing the cost to use the
router to reach a remote network using the route reflector as transit.
It will only be used for forwarding after all other paths are down, at
which point you would be dropping traffic anyway.

    Link connected to: another Router (point-to-point)
     (Link ID) Neighboring Router ID: x.x.x.x
     (Link Data) Router Interface address: y.y.y.y
      Number of TOS metrics: 0
       TOS 0 Metrics: 65535

Hope that helps, seems to work for us without getting too complicated.
Daryl.