Route withdrawn via pipe to another kernel table causes segfault crash

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Jun 12 12:22:18 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 10:21:53PM -0700, Joel Mulkey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are running BIRD v1.3.10 and are seeing an issue that is causing
> BIRD to crash. In this setup we're running one "core" router that's
> using a single routing table, an OSPF protocol, and 2 BGP protocols.
> That core router connects to 2 remote routers that are running one OSPF
> protocol, one BGP protocol, and using 2 routing tables (main and one
> other). The routing tables are connected via pipe, and they are both
> connected to Linux tables via the kernel protocols.

Hello

Thanks for the bugreport, it seems that there is a big problem if
learned kernel routes are propagated to another kernel protocol through a
pipe. During a kernel table scan, a kernel protocol creates temporary
instances of routes in connected BIRD table, which collides with routes
propagated from a different table at the same time. I will see what can
be done with it but currently the only workaround is to disable 'learn'
option (and probably replace it with static protocol).

If you really need combination of 'learn' with multiple tables, you could
try to run two BIRD instances on the same machine and connect them through
BGP, in that case you would probably need to restrict interfaces in 'device'
protocol to convince instances that the IP of the other one is not local.