Running BIRD 1.3.4 on custom config Linux 3.8.13 kernel

Bao Nguyen ngqbao at gmail.com
Wed May 22 19:29:49 CEST 2013

Ondrej,

You are correct, the issue is not related to OSPF but related to BIRD's
ability to install a route into the kernel routing table. It look like the
issue was that the new kernel doesn't have this option enabled (which is
hidden under the Kernel Wireless options)

CONFIG_COMPAT_NETLINK_MESSAGES=y

Enabling this option fixes the issue we were seeing. Reading up on this [1]
it seemed it's an very old mode.

"This option makes it possible to send different netlink messages to tasks
depending on whether the task is a compat task or not. To achieve this, you
need to set skb_shinfo(skb)->frag_list to the compat skb before sending the
skb, the netlink code will sort out which message to actually pass to the
task.

Newly written code should NEVER need this option but do compat-independent
messages instead!"

[1] http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/COMPAT_NETLINK_MESSAGES.html

-bn
0216331C