Route Servers and Secondary Routes (bird 1.3.10 and debian kernel 3.2-amd64)

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Nov 25 19:09:17 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 06:07:42PM +0100, Daniel Gomez wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have used both examples from Ondrej "Simple Route Server" and "Router
> server with community based filtering and single RIB",  from the
> gitlabs.labs.nic.cz, to configure 2 Route Servers that need to tranfer to
> each other via iBGP all the routes they have learned.
>
> I thought that the most important parameters, when coupling both Router
> Servers, where the "table master sorted" and the "secondary" parameter for
> the iBGP configuration, but my routing table is just showing the Best Route
> and not all of them.

Hello

You misunderstood what does 'secondary' option (with 'table master
sorted'). This is relevant to outgoing routes only and allows to export
the best route that passed the filter (but only one for each net). It
does not alter the behavior for incoming routes, which is to keep just
one received route for each net (i.e. replace one with the newer).

Therefore, you cannot 'couple' both route servers using IBGP.
OTOH, perhaps you don't need that - route servers are usually
operated two independent, where each client is connected to both.

The 'coupling' could be done by add-path extension (which allows to send
or receive several routes for the same network over one connection),
which is not yet merged to the BIRD.