Simple load balancing setup with RIP

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Sep 5 12:19:57 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 09:49:59AM +0200, jarek wrote:
> Hello!
>
> 	Can someone help me with simple load balancing setup ?
> I tried to do it myself, but failed.

> I need that hosts from NET A will connect to hosts in NET B.
> NET A is my network with router A as default GW.
> NET B is commercial network with RIP.
> NET A must be exported over RIP to NET B.
> Link 1 and Link 2 should work with load balancing and fail over.

Hello

The config below should work. But as RIP does not yet support ECMP,
it will not do egress load-balancing (just fail-over). Ingress
load-balancing depends on configuration of routers in NET B
(but generally should work with this config).

log syslog all;

router id XXXX;

protocol device {
        scan time 20;
}

protocol direct {
        import all;

        interface "eth0";
}

protocol kernel {
        disabled;
        export all;

        scan time 20;
}

protocol rip {
        import all;
        export where source = RTS_DEVICE;  # routes from direct protocol

        interface "eth1", "eth2" {
                mode multicast;
        };
}